Calendar Event Information

CAN-AM 2013

Hosted by:

Where There Are Mets, There is Hope! Can Am 2013

Don’t be “Hope”less! Attend Can Am 2013, August 9-11!



Located on the mighty Fraser River, Hope was a fur trade and gold rush town that is now a small community whose claim to fame is the annual chainsaw carving show and the filming location for the first Rambo movie. If you are feeling nostalgic, you can enjoy a walking tour of Hope that features many of the movie’s highlights. Plan to join us!

Our event location is The Heritage Inn, please book your room as soon as possible.

Rate: $109/night plus tax. They can be reached at 1-604-869-7166 or toll free in BC at 1-888-869-6577.  Please use the confirmation code 007.

For the RVers, please call Coquihalla Campground at 1-604-869-7119 or 1-888-869-7118 to book your site, various hook-ups are available.

Please download the registration form to Debbie Evans per the form.


Don't forget anyone crossing the border will need a passport or an Enhanced Washington state drivers license (sorry – I don’t know the rules for Oregon’s folks) to cross through customs at the U.S. Canadian border. If you don’t already have a passport time remaining before this event may not be adequate to apply for and receive a passport.  I’ve heard wait times for passports between 2 weeks and 2 months…. Check with your local post office or passport office (Federal bldg).

I believe if you walk into any Department of Licensing facility that you should be able to upgrade your Washington State Drivers license to the Enhanced Washington Drivers License or Identification card.


Here’s what I’ve found out about this on the Internet:

Get your EDL/EID

The enhanced driver license (EDL) or enhanced ID card (EID) confirms your identity and citizenship, and is an acceptable alternative to a passport for re-entry into the U.S. at land and sea border crossings.


Proof of citizenship, identity, and residence

When you apply for an EDL/EID, you must be able to establish (or re-establish) your identity, U.S. citizenship, and Washington State residence. See Proof of citizenship, identity, and residence for more information, including a checklist to help you gather the documents you’ll need.

Age requirements

Type of
  enhanced license/ID card


  driver license (EDL)

At least 18
  years old.

  intermediate driver license

At least 16
  years old.

Enhanced ID
  card (EID)

Any age

Additional requirements for teens

If you are applying for an enhanced intermediate driver license, you must meet all the requirements for an intermediate driver license in addition to the requirements for an enhanced driver license.


For more information about EDL/EID requirements, call 360-902-3900.

Be prepared. Plan ahead

  • If you’re applying at a walk-in office location, please arrive at the office with enough time to complete both the formal documents review and the in-person interview. More time will be needed if you are applying with multiple family members.
  • Please allow 2–3 weeks to receive your permanent EDL/EID in the mail. You will get a temporary EDL before you leave the office. You can use the temporary card for identification, but not for border crossing.

Bring everything you’ll need

Be sure to bring all of the following to the driver licensing office when you apply for your EDL/EID:

  • All of the documents required for proof of citizenship, identity, and residence. If your name has changed, be sure to bring documentation of the name change. We must have these documents to process your application.
  • Your Social Security number (You don’t need to show us your Social Security card.)
  • Payment for the fee. You may pay with:
    • Cash
    • Check
    • MasterCard and American Express credit or debit cards, and some Visa debit cards. (There’s avendor-charged fee on all credit/debit card purchases.)

For a checklist of documents you’ll need, see What documents do I need to get my EDL/EID?.

How to get an enhanced driver license

You must visit one of our EDL/EID office locations in person to apply for an enhanced driver license.

If you’re getting your first driver license:

If you have a valid Washington State driver license:

If you have a valid license from another state:

If you have an expired license from another state:

You’ll get a temporary EDL before you leave the office, and your permanent EDL will be delivered by U.S. mail in 2–3 weeks. You can use the temporary license for driving, but not for border crossing.

How to get an enhanced ID card

You must visit one of our EDL/EID office locations in person to get an enhanced ID card.

  1. Decide which office location you want to visit.
    • Appointment-only offices: Call 360-902-3900 to make an appointment before you visit.
    • Walk-in offices: Check the application hours for the location you plan to visit. Be sure to allow enough time to complete the process, which includes a document review and in-person interview. Allow extra time if you’re applying with multiple family members.
  2. Complete an application.
    • If you’re getting your first Washington ID card, you can save time at the office if you pre-apply online. (You can’t pre-apply online if you’re upgrading your standard ID card to an EID.)
  3. Pay the $60 fee. You may pay with:
    • Cash
    • Check
    • MasterCard and American Express credit or debit cards, and some Visa debit cards. (There’s a vendor-charged fee on all credit/debit card purchases.)
  4. Show us proof of citizenship, identity, and residence for each person applying for an enhanced ID card. A parent or legal guardian may prove the identity and Washington State residence for children under 18. The parent or legal guardian must live in Washington State and must be able to present acceptable documents to prove identity, residence, and his or her relationship to the child under 18.
  5. Provide your Social Security number. Your social security number will be verified but won’t appear on your card.
  6. Successfully complete an interview with a licensing services representative.
  7. Sign a declaration that we gave you materials describing the use and purpose of:
    • Biometric identification technology to verify your identity. To learn more about biometric identification, see:  
      • FAQ: Biometric identification
      • Biometric identification fact sheet:
        • English: We’re using facial re cognition to protect your identity
        • Español: Estamos utilizando tecnología de reconocimiento facial para proteger su identidad   
  1. Turn in your out-of-state driver license or ID card (if applicable).
  2. Have your photograph taken.

You’ll get a temporary enhanced ID card before you leave the office, and your permanent card will be delivered through the U.S. Postal Service in 2–3 weeks. You can use the temporary card for identification, but not for border crossing.

To enter Canada:

Identification documents required

When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa (if you are arriving from a country from which one is required). If you are a United States citizen (U.S.), you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you must bring your permanent resident card with you.

All travellers, including U.S. citizens, are encouraged to visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Web site at for information on the U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative and its traveller requirements to enter or return to the United States.

To re-enter the U.S.:

Land or Sea Travel: U.S. citizens entering the United States by land or sea are required to present
a valid WHTI-compliant document, which include:

  • U.S. Passports
  • U.S. Passport Cards
  • Enhanced Driver's Licenses
  • Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
  • Military Identification Cards (for members of the U.S. armed forces on official orders)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business)

Military personnel traveling under orders may present photo ID and orders.  Family members must present a passport (with the exception of children 15 and younger arriving by land or sea.)

Children:  U.S. citizen children ages 15 and under arriving by land or sea from a contiguous territory may present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born), a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Naturalization Certificate.  If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate.

Session Information
2013 CAN-AM
Host: TBD
Location: British Columbia
Date: August 9, 2013
When: 12:00 PM – 12:00 PM

Related Documents

Contact Information
Contact:Heather Andrews

570 Old Hope Princeton Way  

Hope, BC V0X 1L0, Canada

Location Map

Back to All Events ...